My Life in Knots

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

What's That?

Ok quick background story here. We moved into our new house in July of '06 and saw quiet a few things around the yard that were very nice. In cleaning out the home, that was packed from ceiling to floor with just stuff, I found a lot of floralist type items, books and refrence guides, old newletters for gardening and home maker groups and the like. Then the sellers agent came by one day to see how the house as coming along. She had grown up with the family that owned the home for the last 55 years so knew the hostory well. She told us all about the previous owners and the fact that the wife was an avid gardener, the regional garden clubs advisor on african violets and well known in the gardening community. Now don't I feel horrible, because I am NOT a gardener. I have been basically been given the gift of these wonderful gardens and no idea what this stuff is.
Now the husband passed away some years ago, the wife was in a nursing home her last year and a half of life and then passed on. In these years the house was left neglected. There are noset beds of flowers, nothing has been pruned, weeded or cared for in years. We have an old flag stone retaining wall that had caved in before we even looked at the home, the grass is 1/2 dead, many bushes and trees are 1/2 dead and what flowers we can find are over grown and not in proper beds you can see any longer (I have found the remains of some brick or stone borders)
So I am out trying to clear some things up and figure out what I have out here.
I do know certain plants and can readily identify them. We have very mature lilac trees in various varieties, I have 2 climbing rose bushes and have found about 6 cutting rose bushes, discovered some more peonies today and box woods. Theres a lot though I have no clue what it is.
This is a bush outside the back door on the right side of the house, that was full of tiny white flowers last week but they are now dying.

close up and then the whole thing

these are on the left side of the house, I believe azaleas
no idea what these are I refer to them as the snow balls
heres one of the full treessorry it's side ways blogger wasn't letting me upload images.


more on the right side of the house
holly?

I couldn't get a good picture but this stuff is all over the yard not sure if it's on purose or if it's weeds.

some really over grown peonies on the right side of the house

these are what the boys refer to as the 007 flowers
no idea are they weeds?
I don't find them really attractive and if someone can identify them as weeds I can rip them out.

And then I found this

it's t the right of the peonies in the 2nd picture, the tallest thing you see here. The leaves are green on green spotted they aren't bugs or eggs. I have no idea what this plant is.
There is much more but the memory card was full and I have a TON more work to do.
If anyone can identify anything here I'd greatly appreciate a comment, or even if not sure but you think it might be I could then google it and see if it matches and then get care instructions.
You can right click and chose open in new window, to see a larger image.

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 12, 2007 12:13:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I might be able to identify some of your plants. You're right about the azalea. The one with the red berries (and the thorns) is probably a pyracantha. The blue 007 plant is a Centaurea Montana or Mountain Cornflower(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaurea_montana). Then the last one with the green circles (seed pods) with seeds forming inside them is Lunaria, or money plant. The green pods look like they could be coins, hence the name. The seed pods will dry and look like this: http://www.tsflowers.com/lunaria_pod.jpg. Hope some of this helps.

 
At Wednesday, June 13, 2007 4:13:00 PM , Blogger Buggy said...

Thank You! This has been a huge help in identifying these so I know how to care for them.

 
At Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:09:00 PM , Blogger Karen O'Grady said...

Hi,
Some of the pics were a little fuzzy to get any good detail from. I was able to identify two of the pics, here they are with web pages. The first picture below looks like barberry to me, a great natural fence and I think birds like the berries. The second one below I'd recognize anywhere. We used to live at my grandmother's house and she adored peonies...she had several rows of peonies in the backyard.
IMG_5363 http://www.bio.brandeis.edu/fieldbio/medicinal_plants/pages/Common_Barberry.htm
IMG_5365 http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/flowers/in_peony.htm

 
At Friday, June 22, 2007 10:14:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the snowball plant is a Vibernum. A very lovely one too I might add. I think the first two pics might be a neglected Crepe Murtle (not sure at all). We have the Pyracanthas in our yard (I have cut them down twice but they keep coming back), we call tem fire thorns. The money plant looks a little funky now but the flowers are pretty and when the "money dries you can use it in dried arrangements. I dont garden either but I know plants. I spent a whole working IDing plants. I am pretty sure your weed is a weed called a "tear-thumb". If you run your fingers along the stem, it feel kinda like a cats toung (rough with lots of tiny prickles). Hope this helps.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home